I’ve had the honor of being the maid of honor in two of my very best friend’s weddings and this weekend trip to Savannah, Georgia combined those two friends. 🙂 When my roommate from college, Nicholeah, got engaged and asked me to be her maid of honor, I immediately said yes!
One of my MOH duties was to plan the bachelorette party and while looking for cute beach places to rent for a weekend getaway in July, I came across Savannah and Tybee Island. My other best friend (and who I was also the MOH in her wedding), Christina, lived in Savannah then. I had visited her several times so I felt comfortable planning a weekend girls trip there.
You must visit Savannah if you haven’t! It’s so charming plus the old southern architecture and moss-covered Spanish oaks take you back in time. Tybee Island was a quick 30 minute drive from downtown and made the perfect beach location for us to stay for the weekend.
After some miscommunication on my part where I thought I booked the cutest pink house (below) and actually didn’t, we stayed in a condo that was within walking distance from the beach, the boardwalk, and restaurants. It ended up being perfect because Tybee Island isn’t very big so you can bike or walk almost everywhere. It’s also very residential and all of the rental houses and condos are picturesque and exactly what you’d envision for a girls trip—bright and colorful.
We spent most of our time on the beach enjoying the sun and water and everything the island had to offer, including slushy drinks that you can order from one of the beach side restaurants and sip while catching some rays.
What to do on Tybee Island:
- Head to the southern part of the island and look for dolphins. There’s a little inlet where it’s common to see dolphins. You can even rent paddle boards and take them out. The water is a lot calmer in the inlet than the rest of the island.
- Grab ice cream at The Sugar Shack. They also have really good breakfast sandwiches which I found out on a family trip to Tybee for spring break!
- Eat at AJ’s Dockside Restaurant, Coco’s Sunset Grille, or Huc-A-Poo’s. AJ’s and Coco’s both have views of the water and Huc-A-Poo’s is a great place to hang around after dinner and get a drink!
- Grab coffee at the Tybean and check out the little shops around it. It’s adorable!
What to do in Savannah:
- Grab brunch at Soho South Cafe or Collins Quarters. The decor at both places is perfect for a group of girls in downtown Savannah. Soho South often has a pianist and if you can’t make it to Collins Quarters for brunch, definitely go there for dinner.
- Hop on the trolley for the afternoon and explore the city. You can jump on and off as much as you want and Savannah has an open container policy so stop in at Lulu’s Chocolate Bar and grab a dessert cocktail for the ride!
- Head to the Bohemian Hotel and have a drink on the rooftop, Rocks on the Roof. There’s a great view of the river!