If there’s one thing I could write about over and over and over again, it’s how much I love summer. There’s something about the hot summer air that sinks down into my soul and makes me a better, more joyful person. I can’t be alone in feeling that way, right?!
Besides traveling, warmer weather, and lake season, one of the other main reasons I love summer is that it’s easier to keep my skin and my face looking so fresh with minimal effort. It may be the heat flushing my cheeks or the sun-kissed skin after a full day outside or maybe just the humidity keeping my skin hydrated but whatever it is, I wish I could bottle it up and use it all year long.
Here are my tips for keeping your face fresh this summer:
- Keep Skin Hydrated & Moisturized
- This is so cliché but it’s so true and important. Keeping your skin hydrated and well-moisturized will make you look good and feel good. In the summer, it’s tempting to want to over cleanse and dry out your skin to combat the humidity, but your skin will thank you if you use a little bit of moisturizer or oil. I swear by Jojoba Oil all year long but especially in the summer. It’s really light and doesn’t clog my skin so I put a little on at night or after I’ve washed by face to keep my skin hydrated. And do I even have to say it… DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! 🙂
- Use Self Tanner
- Since I’m getting older, I’m trying to be more conscious of taking care of my skin, which means less time in the sun. Fortunately, I’ve found St. Moriz Self-Tanning Mousse and I might be slightly addicted to it. You can get it from Ulta and it’s a really easy to use self-tanner and leaves a very natural looking tan. I apply mine at night and let it sink in while I’m sleeping then rinse it off in the morning. Make sure to use the mitt to apply the mousse!
- Go Foundation-Less
- Summer is a great time to give your skin a break from the heavy foundations of winter. Let your skin breathe a little and if you feel like you need something on your face, do spot treatments with concealer or to brighten up your under eyes and bump up the bronzer instead! The best concealer in my opinion is Esteé Lauder Double Wear and my go-to bronzers are Bare Minerals Warmth and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil.
- Keep Brows Well-Shaped
- I read this a long time ago in a magazine and it has stuck with me ever since. If you keep your brows groomed and well-shaped, you’ll automatically look fresher and brighter. This is a tip I use all year round but it makes more of a difference during the summer when I either don’t have the time or take the time to put more make up on.
- Simplify Eye Make-Up
- The only make-up product I actually use consistently throughout the summer is mascara. Fresh skin and bright eyes make such a good combination and when it’s hot out, a little mascara can go a long way. I use waterproof mascara which is perfect for long days on the lake. If I splurge on mascara, I love Too Faced Better Than Sex but mostly I use L’Oreal Voluminous. It’s so affordable plus I’ve used it forever and it never lets me down!
Everyone’s skin is different but these are the products and the routine that works best for me. Although half of the time, I don’t do any of it and just go bare faced so find what works for you and if it happens to be one of these, all the better! 🙂