You may or may not have heard of SHEIN, but what you inevitably have heard of is the online fast-fashion retailers that seem to be popping up all over the internet.
It feels like no matter where I am on the internet, I can’t stop seeing ads for inexpensive but trendy clothes. Well all of those ads finally worked on me because a couple weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on my first SHEIN order. I saw this $11 star swimsuit and was convinced I needed to at least try it for the 4th of July.
I had no idea what to expect from my first order but overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The clothes were decent quality, arrived on time, and I was able to easily return any items that didn’t work. The tips below are based on my experience ordering from SHEIN and are not sponsored by them.
Here are the Dos and the Don’ts of ordering from SHEIN:
- DO look at the sizing recommendations. For the most part, sizing is pretty true to size. However, these clothes come from Asia so they tend to run a little short length-wise. I’m tall so I had an issue with that but once I realized that was a problem, I looked for things with adjustable straps and stretch and it wasn’t an issue.
- DON’T expect extremely high quality items. These types of sites are called fast-fashion and sell clothes inexpensively for a reason. They are trendy and seasonal but can be fun to spice up a wardrobe and good to mix with your higher-quality basics. Expect Forever21 quality, not J.Crew.
- DO return what doesn’t work for you. SHEIN offers free returns and will refund your original payment method within 60 days of receiving your order.
- DON’T order a lot of swimsuits right away. Everything is refundable except swimwear. So try one suit first to see how it fits before ordering a bunch that you’ll be stuck with and can’t return. The swimsuit above didn’t work for me but it looked great on one of my friends. Now that I know how they fit, I think I’ll be able to better order swimsuits in the future.
- DO take the time to read the reviews. Most of the clothes have reviews and pictures so look at those to see how they fit and what the clothes look in real life.
- DON’T be afraid to upgrade to expedited shipping. Each time I’ve placed orders, I qualified for free expedited shipping and my packages arrived quickly within 2-3 days.
- DO pay a little extra for package insurance. It’s only a couple of dollars and I would recommend adding that so you can guarantee your package with arrive on time.
If you have any specific questions about ordering, drop a comment below!
Here are some of my favorite pieces from SHEIN: